Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Mad Roamers and Crazy Drivers!

Picture the scene, if you will:

You just so happen to witness a strange image forming before your very eyes. The sight begins to take shape into somewhat macarbe apparation; a view that could literally leave you speechless. An adult male, (or female) is coming towards at full speed, butt-naked, screaming like a banshee, has a blunt machete in his hand and is about to strike a blow right towards your neck. Like any sane individual, you take cover. You don’t want a blade making it’s way to your neck, or any part of your anatomy for that matter.

Seems implausible? Ok, let’s change the tempo: a bull has just been castrated, has snapped free from its harness, and it wants revenge. He zeros in on you, and stampedes right for you. Once again, you don’t or try not to reason with said animal. You do the next best thing: Run!


I’ve cited to two extreme examples of instances that could happen. Which begs the question as to why people in this country, especially in London, take their time while crossing a busy road, when they have no right of way? I’ve witnessed on so many occasions people playing chicken with cars of all sizes. It’s like pedestrians are double-daring the drivers to knock them over. I mean, how dumb can you be? For all you know, the driver in question could be under the influence, or committed a crime and getting the hell out, or is maybe just in a hurry to get to the bog before it all goes pear shaped.

I then realise that people take liberties in this country. The general rule, I reckon, is that said pedestrians feel that the driver’s insurance would cover any medical bills and payout. Not bad for a few broken bones.

Now, I’ve travelled to certain parts of the world, and there are three countries that come to mind that you don’t want to dare drivers or pull off any dumb stunts of jaywalking on the main road: Namely Italy, India and Nigeria. Italy has somewhat a sense of normality, but pull any stunts in India or in particular, then you only have yourself to blame. Can you imagine? You see a car hurtling towards you, and you’re strolling across the road at your own leisure. You best believe that a collision is inevitable. And the pain doesn’t stop there. Oh, no! You’d be then asked (if your either conscience or can at least talk!) to explain your foolish actions. It’ll then be you, the ‘victim’, who would have to fork out for the damage to the vehicle.

So, if none of you guys can remember the Green Cross Code when you take that stroll across a busy intersection or road, just visualise a naked man with a machete dashing for you.

5 comments:

Ms. Catwalq said...

While I share the your sentiment about pedestrain country, I will also like to ask you what you would suggest your brethren in Naija do?
I have never been to either Italy or India but something tells me that the electricity there works and thus the traffic signal
If you know you want to reach where you are going on time, you hold your belongings well to your body and make sure you are in shape because you are going to be doing short distance sprint fully equipped with hurdle-jumping

Ms. Catwalq said...

oh and thanks for stopping by my blog

Hengish said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog too. When I am crossing the road I hope I get hit by a Bentley Continental, fortunately for me Chelsea is filled with people that own one. God knows how much I could sue them for hehe. Jokes apart,true people seem to forgot the person driving could be under the influence of anything.

Hengish said...

Oh forgot to add, the Queen and I adore them. The are like a morphed version of the Gorillaz/ Lupe Fiasco and it helps that the lead singer is HOT !

Brilliantly Me said...

LOL @ Catwalq's first comment. I agree with her on the whole electricity thing in Nigeria. In the 10 years I lived there when I was younger, I think I saw about 4 working traffic lights. I visited last summer and I saw 2...so what are the poor pedestrians to do when there's no light to tell them when to cross?

Mind you though, they do cross much faster than their European and American brethren.